". Arranged Words: Market Finds

6 May 2014

Market Finds


Original painted in 1883
The Flea Markets have opened for the season, so on the weekend off I went. I haven't been to the markets for years, and, frankly, I was surprised by all the booty.  Among other things, I couldn't resist this print. As you can see the frame has pulled away at the top, but I am hoping it can be easily fixed. (If you happen to be a framer or have any suggestions, please leave a comment.) Also, the glass was scratched in several places, but a buffing with toothpaste on a soft cloth did the trick.

I found the name of the print thanks to Google. To Pastures New is by the Scottish painter James Guthrie. As soon as I saw this print, I knew I'd be taking it home.

I also have my eyes on a Limoges tea set, (too expensive for me, but I may make an offer next week if it is still there) and I'd love to own an antique secretary desk. Actually, there was a beautiful desk that an astute lady bought while I was admiring it.  Apparently, if you snooze you lose.
 
* * *
On the needles...




4 comments:

Melissa ~ twoknitwit said...

the print is precious, Dixie ~ great find! and the knitting ~ love it all (what patterns?)

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thanks, Melissa. I think it's a little treasure, too. I can't wait to hang it up! :-)

The first one is the shawl "Tulip Tree," and the second one is "Camellia Lace Scarf" by Evelyn Clark. "Camellia" reminds me of Queen Anne's Lace which I love.

Melissa ~ twoknitwit said...

thanks ~ I thought the Tulip Tree looked familiar (I love Queen Anne's Lace as well ~ I have it queued for 'someday')

Anonymous said...

What a darling print! Wish it were mine.:)
Sue