". Arranged Words: Dog Days of August/ Knitting

2 Sept 2015

Dog Days of August/ Knitting

I put my files in order so here are a few pictures of the countryside that I wasn't able to post in August.
Because the sky was such a beautiful blue that day, I spent a long time admiring it.
Loosestrife. Invasive but pretty.

Bull thistle.


The path taken.
A few cattails.

In the past, I am sure I've mistaken the pink flower for milkweed, but I believe that it is Sweet Joe-Pye Weed. It certainly does smell sweet!  I love to hear those tall rushes in the background rustle in the wind.

 
Off the needles... Rosetta Mitts

 I finally finished knitting and writing up my Rosetta Mitts pattern.  They are knit with Classic Elite Yarns Fresco, colourway Rum Raisin; I'd like to knit a pair using Madelintosh yarn, too.  They can be made in three different lengths, but I like my fingerless mitts long. I am looking forward to wearing these mitts later this fall.  I only have the ends to sew in and the  blocking to do. 

I am also happy to say that I kept my commitment to draw everyday for two months. I filled one whole sketch book and part of another.  Several birdies are among those drawings.  I can't wait to start painting them.

 'Til next time....enjoy.

7 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What lovely photos and your fingerless mitts are lovely.

FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful pictures, Dixie. Isn't it a shame Loosestrife is so invasive, I believe it could be considered a noxious weed. Years ago I had some Sweet Joe Pye weed in my raised bed. I, too, love your fingerless gloves. I'm not sure I've ever seen any before. Love, Joannie

Renee said...

Beautiful photos! My son discovered a thistle blooming in our backyard on Monday. He had no idea they could be so pretty. Your mitts look so cozy!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...


They've been trying to eradicate the loosestife, but It's winning. Also, cattails are on the hit list. I know the muskrat eat cattail roots, so with the cattails dwindling the muskrats dinner disappears too. Unfortunately, both species choke out the wetlands.
Thank you, Joanie! I did enjoy taking the pics and coming up with my own pattern for the mitts.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Lorraine.
It was such a wonderful day to be out and about!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Renee.
Thistles are pretty. It's too bad they bite though.
The yarn I used is a cozy one, but I'm hoping I won't have to wear these mitts until way late in the fall. It's been a warm and lovely summer!

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Beautiful photos, Dixie!! So much inspiration for your paintings. The mitt is so lovely. I wear my mitts long too. Do you have the pattern available anywhere? I would love to purchase it :)

-Soma