". Arranged Words: Clicking the Sticks

21 May 2013

Clicking the Sticks

My In the Pines after wet blocking 

Before the magic of wet blocking with many rows left to knit.

The Fleece - Merino
 Malabrigo sock - approx. 425 yds


Pictured above, my finished version of the Shetland Triangle: a beginner's lace shawl designed by Evelyn Clark.  In case you are new to knitting, or have decided to pick up your needles after a long hiatus, Evelyn  can also be found on the wildly popular knitting site Raverly, along with a myriad of other talented knitwear designers and knitters.

About three weeks ago, I joined a great group of knitters for a Shetland Triangle KAL, ( knit-along)  hosted by Girls in Sheeps Clothing. Recent and past KALS, with a group of talented knitters, have turned out several intricate eye-popping creations!

For new and non-knitters, (I know you are out there) wet blocking involves immersing the item, or, in this case, shawl in tepid water for about 20 minutes. Then after rolling the shawl in a towel and gently squeezing out the excess water, the shawl is pinned out and left to dry on a blocking board, or rug, bed, etc. (I use a yoga mat.) Since I do not have blocking wires, I use T pins to pin out the points, and I weave yarn through the top of the shawl and pull it tight to even things out; it works just fine. As you can see, blocking unfolds, like butterfly wings, the beauty of the lace.

It is time to pick up my sticks. I've got a few wips (works in progress) to finish. And if I was in a mood to confess, there might be, in some oblivious corner, one or two ufos (unfinished objects) to complete.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Oh,I like this. Very pretty!
Sue J.