". Arranged Words: Through the Mill

8 Jul 2013

Through the Mill

Saturday was a  beautiful day for leisurely walk through the village. There's so much to see, so many questions to ask and an afternoon just isn't long enough. Luckily, the admission price covers two visits!

My first stop was the Woolen Mill. Powered by water, it made life easier for the ladies who, of course, did all of  the carding and the spinning of the wool by hand.

Your about to see innovation in action--a water powered 1840's style woolen factory that is, so hang on your hats and be prepared to be amazed.

Step inside.

The right stuff. 
Must have be a chilly place to work in the winter.
A few bobbins full.
1840's style. I like the buttons-practical. Hmmmm.

Adding to the ambiance...fitting.
Throw that shuttle.
Fluffing machine. The dried corn cobs do the job well.


Without central heating, these blankets would  have come in handy, and I love the pretty blue stripes.


 
Along with roving, blankets and other items, there's also wool for sale.


The camera shy culprits at large

With my free ticket, I think I'll visit again in August or September?  But then I did see the sweetest picture by Kelly Rae Roberts in the village store that I am sorry I left behind... If you haven't seen her work, do have a look. What an uplifting delight!

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Neat photos! Is it just me, or does the place seem kind of haunted? I think it's the way that it's sort of stuck in time and so quiet looking. Are any of the machines in operation?

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thanks, Carolyn.

I didn't make that clear, but The Upper Canada Village is composed of old homes and shops and mills that were brought in from the villages when those towns were flooded to make the St. Lawrence Seaway--a mega project under taken,I'm told, in the 1950's by both the Canada and the U.S.

Since I was downstairs alone, it did seem a bit creepy, and I did look behind me a few times!:-)l. But at the same time, it was interesting, and, yes, it is still a fully functional mill. The blankets and yarn they make there are also for sale in the Village shop.