". Arranged Words: Contradiction in Blue

22 Aug 2013

Contradiction in Blue

Blue is considered a cool colour, but add a touch yellow or grey and it morphs warm. Of course, with adjustments colours can be warm or cool.

I think my preference for blue resides in my genes. My mother is a fan, and so was my grandmother. My mother told me that my grandmother once said, "A Patch of Blue For a Gown of Blue." I've never forgotten that phrase because it's unique and poetical. Besides, the phrase, A Patch of Blue has a nice ring to it. It could be the title of short story, or a fitting name for a store, so no pinching, please.☺

Cool or warm? I have no preference. I love every shade of blue, although over the years I've tried to fight it. Why? Because, for me, it's a predictable choice and I don't want to be hidebound, so a couple of years ago I did something radical: I decorated the bathroom in purple--purple shower curtain, mats, and accessories. For all you purple lovers out there, I have nothing against purple. Really, the only thing wrong with purple is that it isn't blue. Needless to say, I hated that bathroom. The moral: don't go against your grain, or as written by the world's greatest bard "to thy own self be true." True blue that is.

Unfortunately, I don't own a blue car. My furniture isn't blue, but there's blue it in. My hair isn't blue, but I know that's chic and there's a large chance that it might look smashing. Yes, I've sighed heavily over these over sights, but the good news is things can and do change, so Ra Ra to a future draped in blue!


"There's no blue without yellow or orange." Vincent Van Gogh  You don't say!

♦  Yarn ~ Malabrigo colour Impressionist Sky. The create clip by Kelly Rae Roberts. The uber sweet card by Nina Chen waits to be filled out.

 ♦ The wee tool--a stitch picker upper; it saved me when I was knitting my Rock Island Shawl.

♦ Enjoy the song and the weekend!


3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I do understand your love for blue. I always insist that I do not have a favorite color. (I agree with Van Gogh in that no color can be appreciated without other colors that compliment or contrast.) But, to be perfectly honest, if I had to pick a favorite... Blue it would be!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dixie: It's blue for me - all the way. My living room is painted red - blue red. If you asked me what my favourite colour is I'd say red, and I wouldn't be lying. But blue is the colour at the 'bottom' of it all. Blue, the spiritual colour. Then again the towels I love are sage. Our bedrooms, bathroom and computer room are painted sage.

Oh my, oh my, and our dining room and kitchen are pumpkin orange.

Hey, maybe all colour thrills me? And choosing one is difficult at best.

I love all your beautiful knitted things and your BLUE hat for Jesse. I've known you for a long time but I've never seen a picture of Jesse. It's too bad he's unwilling to pose for the camera with the hat on.

Love, Joannie




























Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

It is a great colour, Carolyn. In case you haven't seen it, the new Vogue Knitting mag has an aqua sweater on the cover and inside beautiful shades of blue yarn.


Vibrant colours to match your vibrant personality, Joanie!
O, he did reluctantly pose for a personal pic. :) I thought I had sent his grad pics. I will send today and I hope you will send me a few pics too.
And thanks for your comment on my knitting. I do love to knit!