". Arranged Words: More Than One ~ Filling The Gap

15 Aug 2013

More Than One ~ Filling The Gap

 Slipping easily from one knitting project to another, with a book small enough to fill the gap, and a breeze billowing through the curtains, while drinking tea creates, as far as I'm concerned, the best of days. The only thing I'd add: a hammock under a shady tree by a river, or, preferably, the sea.

The Snow Goose by Paul Gallico is, I think, required reading in high school, although not when I went to school. It's a wee tale that expands the heart. The setting: a lighthouse in the marshlands by the sea where the reader, for a time, also resides because it's so well rendered. While critics frown on the author's use of telling instead of showing and the book's sentimentality, it's a book well worth reading because sentiment is, after all, what makes us human. Further, if deeply felt, sentiment helps us to relate to other people in a non-judgmental way, recognize goodness and good intentions, and it can awaken and foster compassion, which, in turn, often inspires people to do great things.

Over the years, I've read The Snow Goose several times. It's one of those books that you reach for at certain times, for certain reasons. If you haven't read it, and you aren't easily daunted by the moral lessons of, in this case, fine instructive sentiment, ;^}it's a great read.

 The multicoloured scarf  ~ my second Strathcona and the fingerless mitts designed by me.
Yarn:  Fleece Artist ~ Schooner, and Quince and Co., Chickadee ~ Pomegranate.

Enjoy the weekend!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A long time ago I saw the movie, but I've never read the book. Will check it out.
Like the knits. Can't see much of the mitts though!
Sue