". Arranged Words: Garden Oasis

5 Jun 2014

Garden Oasis


I love to garden.  And I find it liberating to pitch the gloves and just dig in.  For me, planting seeds and watching them grow lifts and nurtures the spirit, enhances my sense of wonder; promotes peace and satisfaction, and when I planted vegetables there was the added bonus of pure freshness. These days I only start Nasturtiums and Morning Glories from seed, but I am still enthusiastic about gardening.

 I keep saying that I am going to limited the number of containers I plant. After all, if I plant too many, the water brigade usually falters.  Perhaps I am a slow learner, but in recent years I've discovered that if I live in a area with good ventilation the best time to water is in the early evening. Then as I walk through the door in the morning, while taking that furtive glance over my shoulder at the pots outside, I catch a glimpse of quilt free beauty. The flowers, instead of giving me that droopy fatalistic look that emphatically states it's all over but the crying, sing halleluiahs. And the grateful Sweet Alyssum sings the loudest. Preferring cool temperatures, Alyssum craves extra water in the summer. It's a prissy plant that needs grooming, too, but if I treat it especially well, this year, the new variegated leafed variety just might bloom all summer.  Time will tell.

P.S.  I caved and bought more plants today ~ so much for the manicure and something called limits...


"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves."

Mahatma Gandhi

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Lovely photo. I see the variegated Sweet Alyssum. I was filling my own containers with flowers just yesterday. I am thinking that I need just one more trip to buy more plants, and I am certain to look for some of that prissy and beautiful plant.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

It does make a great "spiller" plant. I love to see it cascading down the sides of a pot. I'll need to keep my eyes open on the diligent water detail...:)