". Arranged Words: Sea Change

24 Feb 2015

Sea Change


Before I added the sea wash and the finishing touches.
I thought I'd paint something based a wishful childhood memory.  And since I grew up by the sea, it's no surprise that it's sea related.  As a child, I spent many idyllic summer days skimming across the harbour in boats while listening to the seagulls scream; I watched otters, birds, schools of fish, and sometimes we stopped on one of the islands for a picnic. There I  searched the shore for treasures: bits of sea glass, drift wood, shells and occasionally in the tide pools I'd find a live treasure to chase and watch for awhile.

Secretly, I always hoped I'd find a seahorse, but, unfortunately, I was on the North Atlantic--a little too far from the tropics.  However,  I've heard that Ripley's new aquarium in Toronto houses such wonders. Obviously it's time for a sea change!



Thanks for reading.

Enjoy...

12 comments:

Shirley said...

Good Morning Dixie, A nice cup of hot tea sounds good this cold morning. We haven't had the really just bad weather like they are getting around us. Our Oldest was headed back to Louisiana and then to Texas for the next month for his job. He promised that if the weather was bad he would stop. I love your sea horses and I know as a child we always were hunting for rocks or something when we got close to the water. Have a wonderful day. Hugs and Prayers from Shirley@shirleystitches

Kim said...

Oh how whimsical your sea horses look floating on your page. Sea horses are exquisite creatures. Your childhood sounds as if it was filled with many delights that only growing up by the sea can offer to a child; it sounds as if it was heaven.

Melissa ~ twoknitwit said...

that is one dapper looking seahorse, Dixie! very nice :)
Melissa

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Beautiful memories of your childhood, no wonder they inspired such pretty drawing.

-Soma

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I am fond of tea to say the least.
Louisiana and Texas will, no doubt, be a bit warmer. I'd love to visit both of those places. I hope you son has a great trip.
Thank for for the comment about my seahorse and for your warm wishes. So lovely...
My very best wishes to you too, Shirley.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Hi Kim,
It was fun going up in a rural area with its rivers and lakes and the sea as a backdrop. There was so much to discover and it gave me such an appreciation for the natural world.
Thank you...enjoy the day...

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Apparently the papa carries the eggs in his pouch until they are ready to hatch, so I gave him a pop of dash as a reward. ☺
Thank you, Melissa.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Hi Soma,
The sea, always changeable, is so inspiring. A diver must literally enter another world ~ what a great experience that would be.
Thank you...

Penny said...

Delightful! I can't imagine seeing one of these delicate creatures face to face, but I hope you have the opportunity one day.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

It would be wonderful to see a seahorse, Penny. Perhaps I'll see one this year in Toronto. Time will tell.
Thanks and have a great day!

Linda said...

I love a nice hot cup of tea, and your seahorse creation is gorgeous.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

The green tea was great ~ for sure.
Thank you, Linda.