". Arranged Words: Watercolour ~ Rose Hips

15 Mar 2016

Watercolour ~ Rose Hips


 I recently picked these rose hips along the road side. It was a blustery day and I didn't have anything to cut them with, but, thankfully, after a lot of tugging they came free. Obviously, they survived the winter under a warm blanket of snow.
 When I was finally ready to paint, the rose hips had lost what was left of the round plump look, but I like to have a real plant for reference.
As you can see, as the light changes in a room so does the colour and shadow areas of whatever plant that you might be using as a guide. I thought about adding a grey shadow underneath the rose hips but decided to leave it. However, it would add a touch of realism.




Because I used heavy paper, which is difficult to cut, I didn't have the nerve to try and deckle the top edge so I left it.

Next: a Trillium. I'd like to paint a few more cards for Easter...a daffodil and a rose?  Perhaps. I haven't quite decided yet.


Thanks for reading along...Enjoy the week.

11 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Nicely done. I look forward to seeing what you create next.

FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

Your drawings, watercolours, and sketches have made me more conscious of what I'm looking at. Opened my eyes a bit more, so to speak. The daffodils are up six inches in the front lawn, with the yellow beginning to show.

A trillium - how lovely.

Happy, happy Easter, Dixie.

Love, Joannie

Carolyn said...

Lovely work. Looking forward to seeing more of spring and more of your painting it :-)

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I'm glad you are looking at things a little differently. That's great.
I took a walk through the neighborhood and noticed a few one inch or less tulip/daffodil sprouts erupting from the soil.
Glad to hear your daffodils are about to bloom. Lovely!
Thanks and a very Happy Easter to you too, Joannie.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Carolyn.
Today I saw a squirrel climbing a tree with a large tulip bulb in its mouth, so there will be one less bloom in the neighborhood, but spring is definitely in sight. Woo-hoo! :)

Su-sieee! Mac said...

A delightful card! Your rosehips are quite pretty.
The View from the Top of the Ladder

Penny said...

What treasures, Dixie. One day you might consider making a book of your work, so people could casually leaf through it, chronologically, and see how you've advanced and perfected your art. I love what you are doing. Thank you so much for letting us take this adventure with you and be inspired. What would we do without nature? Hugs

Lorraine said...

You've captured the rose hips beautifully. I love your nature cards. You are truly gifted.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thanks, Penny.
I am glad I kept drawing/painting.It does make me happy.
Growing up I had the woods as a backdrop and the ocean to look out on. I spent a lot of time in the woods and still love to go walking in the woods whenever I can. Nature never fails, it seems. It's always inspiring, and there's always something new to see.
I'd love to walk the trails in your area. And O to spent some time watching those hummingbirds!
Hugs to you, too...

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Your painted rosehips are beautiful, Dixie. Vibrant colours and they look like they are lying on the paper waiting to be picked up. There are so much inspiration in nature and you capture them beautifully in your paintings.

-Soma

Anonymous said...

I love this one!-debits