". Arranged Words: Calla Lily

27 Apr 2016

Calla Lily





Calla Lilies are so pretty.  Since I have a plant on hand, I couldn't help but paint a few.  What's great about them besides the obvious: the blooms last a long time and although I haven't compared, they must last almost as long as an orchid. They make great outdoor plants too, so I bought bulbs to plant.  Actually, I bought several packages of bulbs to plant in containers this season.

The greenhouses will open soon. Always, it seems, in time for Mother's Day.  I can't wait to see what they have this year. In the meantime, and even though they were just setting up, I managed to sneak into Walmart's greenhouse. I left with a few pansies.


Pansies symbolize merriment, thoughts of you. The Calla Lily symbolizes magnificence and beauty.
The Victorians were very conscious of the meaning of flowers. And they had flowers everywhere. I've noticed that a few flower shops are, once again, emphasizing those meanings. How lovely!

I am also fond of air plants. I'd love to have a red one. Hopefully, I'll to find one when I go to the city.

Enjoy the week...



10 comments:

NatureFootstep said...

you are good at paining your flowers.

May I make a wish? Why not linkup with my "The Creative Playroom"? You find it here:
http://nfbild2.blogspot.se/2016/04/the-creative-playroom-5-cat-model.html

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Lovely little painting and your flower arrangements are sweet too.

FlowerLady

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Your flower arrangements are always so beautiful, Dixie! Wonderful inspirations for your lovely paintings. Calla Lily has been one of my favourite flowers too. Your painting of it depicts this simple and the same time beautiful flower so perfectly.

-Soma

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

The Calla lilies grow outside here all year round - almost!
I'm looking to buy pansy seedlings too to fill my terracotta pots and troughs - they make a great show here through the winter months.
I hope I can get some Virginia stocks too - the trouble is the seedlings seem to sell out so quickly and I often miss out.

Anonymous said...

I checked my mail today and inside was a beautiful surprise. Thank you Dixie. I love it and it will be prominently displayed for all who visit and hopefully one day it will be you!-Debits

AppleApricot Wen said...

Oops, had my comment placed in the contact form section :) What I was saying... Gorgeous painting of that beautiful flower, Dixie! Your blog post today is filled with so much beauty. Wishing you a happy day!

September Violets said...

Your drawing of the lily is wonderful! I love pansies too when I see them in the stores ... like little faces bobbing in the wind ;)

Wendy

Splendid Little Stars said...

What gorgeous flowers! The mix of callas and orchids is especially pretty.

Anonymous said...

Thank you once again, Dixie, for the beautiful Calla Lily Mother's Day card! It gives me a lot of joy that you knew as you were painting it that it was for me! It's near me at all times so I may enjoy it to the fullest. Love, Joannie

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

You are so welcome, Joannie! Enjoy...xo